Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Vicious Circle

I have been traveling entirely too much lately. I have only been home one weekend this month. And I have plans to travel this weekend and next. I haven’t worked a full 5-day week in a long time, which makes me so giddy I might pee myself. All of this traveling has been by choice, except for one work-related trip last weekend. This being said, I have come to the conclusion that my social life is ruining my progress and livelihood. Ultimately, I would like to own my own dwelling, as a few of my more accomplished friends have done. I understand how paying rent for my Uptown apartment is viewed as wasteful and I, for the most part, concur. Although I have no desire to do yard work, play handy-man, or live in the ‘burbs, it would be nice to have a yard where my dog could run and play without being on a leash attached to my hand.

I really need to focus on putting more in savings. This is a problem I have struggled with in the past. At the rate we are spiraling out of control as a country, the social security program will not benefit me in any way. I will have to retire one day and will eventually depend on someone to wipe my ass and care for me (probably in an old-folks home), especially since I have no desire to have my own children [side note: why is it so abnormal not to want kids? People treat you like there is something wrong with you when you make that statement. There are tons of people who have had kids that definitely shouldn’t have… ahhh if only more people had my train of though. I digress]. It’s time to re-evaluate my mid-twenties lifestyle.

I always seem find a reason to spend the money I should be saving. For instance, the last transactions from my bank account include: iPhone 3GS, car charger for said iPhone, lawyer fees for my speeding ticket, gas and spending money for different trips taken this month, purchases on half.com/eBay, lunch/dinner with friends, bars, etc. Some of the things I spend my money on are borderline ridiculous.

After mulling over my expenses on an all-too-convenient report from my bank (thanks, Wells Fargo), I have realized that the restaurant / bar / travel columns out-weigh every other column ten-fold. Based on my spending report if I were a boring person I would have much more money in the bank. This leaves me with the question: I wonder if it is better to enjoy life as you go, or do without in your younger years so that you can save for the future.

I am certain I am not the first person to spend money on wasteful things, nor will I be the last. I have recently off-set some of these ridiculous purchases by selling some of my other ridiculous purchases on eBay. I am also forming a resolution to say “No” to weekend trips and expensive outings that will most likely be forgotten and/or end up a hazy insignificant memory, due to extensive beer-therapy … right after my Vegas trip in September…. and quite possibly a long weekend get-away for Labor Day. Haha.

My poor spending habits are a vicious circle…


4 comments:

MisterDan said...

As a guy who was two weeks shy of paying off his 2-year-long credit card debt, only to then purchase a MacBook, I feel your pain.

Sara said...

If you were a boring person you would have much more money bank, but no time to spend it so what would be the point in having it?

This is coming from someone that works 7 days a week and is "boring" because shes too tired to go out after working. So, I never have to worry about anything because I have a decent net at the bank but at the same time I envy you because you can do all the things I cant which makes us both in the same boat.

Keep spending because at least youre having fun (working sucks.)

Kelly Jean said...

Alright, I know you asked me to comment last week (early this week?), whenever this post was written but now I have time, get ready.
1. I do stand by my saying this was a good one, full of thoughts, questions, concerns we all have
2. Didn't you just get a raise? "Ultimately, I would like to own my own dwelling, as a few of my more accomplished friends have done." I ask, and quote you, because you're quite accomplished yourself I wanted to bring that to your attention, lest you forget.
3. Next, if I may be so bold, I would like to shed some light on this thought, "I wonder if it is better to enjoy life as you go." Uh, yeah, it is. There doesn't need to be an "or." Life is for living, enjoying, not planning for freakin' doomsday. In that regard, I think you're doing everything right. Are you tired? Yes, and that's a good sign.
4. So, rest up my friend, for next weekend, that is, because it will be one for the books or should I say blogs....
(not a number 5 but side note: maybe I should just ditch my one-post blog and comment on all of yours. it will encourage you to write more often and me too, as a result...sleep on it. we'll talk soon)

XOXO

Brandon said...

well said, friends! :)